The International Public Health programme from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine covers a wide range of topics in public and global health, including key disciplinary skills in epidemiology and social science and applied topics such as disease control and programme management. The programme examines current policies and practice in international public health and explores approaches to developing policy and enhancing practice based upon sound, evidence-based principles. Following the taught component, participants complete a dissertation including a period of applied research either overseas or in Liverpool.
LSTM education courses are taught within a dynamic environment by staff working at the cutting-edge of research in tropical medicine and global health. They are designed to enable the professional development of the student, to be relevant to students from both the UK and overseas and to promote approaches to study that will enable students to continue their learning into the future.
This course aims to:
- Provide a critical understanding of a range of health policies and strategies in a variety of social, epidemiological, cultural, economic and political settings in middle- and low- income countries
- Enable students to analyse critically, evaluate and conduct responsive, public health-related research and apply evidence to everyday practice.
- Produce graduates who are experienced, committed, informed, proactive and effective professionals, capable of taking substantial and leading professional roles in order to promote improved health and well-being in middle and low income countries
- Facilitate high quality learning that is informed by critical analysis of current research
- Develop independent and reflective approaches to study that will enable graduates to continue to learn in the future
There are many career opportunities within the field of Public Health throughout the world. Public Health emergencies have been highlighted recently by the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa, H5N1 Avian Influenza, Zika Virus, and MERS.
People with public health skills are highly sought after. Public health careers cover a wide variety of options from disease control, disease surveillance, non-communicable disease strategies, childhood vaccinations, government policies and strategies, reducing infant mortality, etc - to name but a few. Past alumni of this course typically go and work for health ministries, health departments, national or international disease control agencies, UN Agencies, aid organisations, or universities.
- Research Methods in International Health
- Key Themes in International Health and Health Policy
- Optional: Organisation & Management
- Optional: Maternal & Newborn Health
- Optional: Systematic Reviews for Policy & Practice
- Health Promotion
- Optional: Statistical Methods for Epidemiological and Clinical Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 397 other Masters in Health Management in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Open to health professionals and graduates in health or related disciplines. Non-graduates with considerable work experience in the health sector of low or middle income countries and evidence of continued academic development through appropriate in-service training will also be considered. Medical students who have completed at least three years of study and wish to intercalate are also accepted onto the programmme subject to having appropriate experience.
- Candidates generally require professional or voluntary experience in health or a related area in a low or middle income country.
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.