Emphasis is given to the scientific and empiric evidence for diagnosis, management and control of the most prevalent diseases in developing countries, with particular reference to high burden diseases such as tuberculosis, HIV and malaria, from a public health and clinical perspective. However, the programme does not include a clinical attachment and teaching at the bedside. Following a taught component, participants complete a dissertation including a period of applied research either overseas or in Liverpool.
This Tropical and Infectious Diseases programme from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine aims to:
- Provide doctors with previous experience in high burden diseases with research skills relevant to tropical and infectious diseases in low income countries.
- Develop students’ knowledge and comprehension of the preventive and curative management strategies that promote health and well-being in tropical countries.
- Enable students to comprehend and conduct health-related research.
- Produce graduates who are experienced, committed, informed, proactive and effective professionals, capable of taking substantial and leading professional roles.
- Facilitate high quality learning that is informed by critical analysis of current research.
- Develop independent and reflective approaches to study that will enable graduates to continue to learn in the future.
The MSc Tropical and Infectious Diseases (MTID) provides a wide range of skills and training for doctors planning academic and clinical careers in resource-poor settings with endemic diseases. It is an excellent qualification for doctors who wish to work in the field of health research in either a clinical or community context, as well as with international organisations specialising in health assistance-related activities.
This MSc is a great springboard into clinical academic routes, previous students have been successful in Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD Fellowships. Also, many students have had their research projects published in peer reviewed journals, enhancing their standing in the academic research environment.
- Research Methods in International Health
- Current Clinical Challenges in Tropical Medicine
- Quality Improvement in Global Child Health
- HIV in Resource Limited Settings
- Organisation & Management
- Key Concepts in Sexual & Reproductive Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 1774 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Open to graduates with a medical degree and at least two years’ experience of professional work after qualification.
- Non-graduates with considerable satisfactory work experience and evidence of appropriate in-service training will also be considered. Experience of working in a developing country is desirable.
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.