Why study PGCE (Secondary) Modern Languages at Goldsmiths, University of London?
- Choose between French, German, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin Pathways.
- You’ll work with young people from a wide range of backgrounds, aptitudes and needs. This is challenging as well as exciting, and the programme offers a gradual and supportive introduction to the classroom. You'll spend time in subject-specific groups, looking at issues and resources particular to their languages.
- We'll help you to understand what constitutes ‘good practice’ in teaching.
- We encourage students to develop a second or third teaching language, and we build in opportunities for you to teach each other.
- You’ll have the opportunity to use stories, songs, drama, multimedia, and art works in your practice.
- Learn how to develop engaging content and teaching strategies. You’ll have the chance to work with Primary PGCE colleagues to look at the implication of teaching languages in primary schools on policy and pedagogy.
More informationVisit official programme website
In the Autumn Term, College-based sessions complement school-based work by covering issues raised in lesson planning – eg. speaking skills, group work, or using ICT. The sessions are based on workshop-type activities, but offer the opportunity to reflect on the underlying teaching principles.They also allow you to follow up General Professional Studies by exploring equal opportunities, classroom management, Every Child Matters and Inclusion.For the Spring and Summer Terms, you move to a second school and take on more responsibility for teaching classes; you may also continue to team-teach with your mentor in school.Your university tutor and mentor share responsibility for assessing your teaching practice, and help you identify your strengths and work on any weaknesses.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
DisciplinesEducation Languages Linguistics View 828 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- to meet our fitness to train requirements
- a GCSE Grade C or above (or recognised equivalents) in English Language, Mathematics, and a science subject (including Combined Science)
- an undergraduate honours degree, usually 2:2 or above, from a university in the United Kingdom
International16700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.