This Master of Arts degree in Higher Education from Appalachian State University is for those interested in beginning or advancing careers in higher or adult education. It provides opportunities for students to explore and apply research and theory to the complex contexts of today’s educational environments.You can choose from one of the following three concentrations:
- Adult Development and Education (ADE) – Prepares individuals to teach in or administer developmental education and learning assistance programs; adult literacy, basic education, and GED programs; English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) programs; career-technical programs; or adult education/training programs offered by community agencies.
- Community College and University Leadership (CCUL) – Qualifies graduates for a wide variety of administrative and leadership positions in areas such as academic administration, financial aid, multicultural student development, institutional research, residence life, media relations, advancement, international education and career development. The program integrates theory and practice to enable graduates to address the diverse and complex demands of leadership in today’s rapidly changing educational environments.
- (College) Teaching – Prepares individuals for teaching positions in community colleges and universities by cultivating expertise both in the particular discipline and in the skills needed to design powerful learning environments for today’s diverse college students. In addition to the courses in professional education, students will take 18 graduate hours in a discipline (e.g., psychology, history, English).
- Basic skills/developmental education instructors
- ESOL instructors
- Faculty in career-tech programs
- Leaders in adult and developmental education
- Learning specialists
- Professional developers/trainers
- Program directors or coordinators
- Tutorial coordinators
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods
- Adult Development and Learning Theories
- College and University Teaching
- American Higher Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3549 other Masters in Education in United States
- GRE (score must be no more than 5 years old)
- Resume (Required upload for application submission);
- Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
International13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6852 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6852 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State3630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1815 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.