Optional courses in the Law - Transnational Legal Studies programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam allow for specialisation, and whether your interests are in human rights, economic law, constitutional principles, security and terrorism, equality and justice, or cross-border phenomena such as global warming and the internet, the friendly and diverse department of Transnational Legal Studies will help you achieve a Master of Law degree (LLM) which takes you further in your career.
- As transnational legal regulation is becoming more and more dense, both on the international and the domestic level, the need for transnationally trained lawyers continues to increase. Apart from the traditional legal professions (i.e. within the judiciary and national bars), transnationally trained lawyers can be employed by many organisations.
- Future employers include: EU institutions, the UN, international organizations, ngo's, national governments, and international and national law firms. In addition, the programme is an excellent choice if you wish to pursue an academic career after graduating. All in all, students specialising in transnational law have good employment prospects: in the Netherlands, in their home countries, and on the international labour market.
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- European and International Law
- Legal Methodology
- Transnational Law in Social Context
- EU Internal Market Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- The Politics of International Law
- EU Anti-Discrimination Law
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- EU/EEA or Dutch students: 1 June
- Non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 June
- Students who need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 April.
DisciplinesEuropean Law International Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 28 other Masters in European Law in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's or equivalent degree in Law can apply. To be admitted you need permission from the Admission Board.
- Your bachelor education is compared to and valued through the UK Naric comparison system and, if necessary, through the Nuffic comparison and validation programmes. Especially students from non-EU countries should factor in the possibility that a relevant Bachelor’s degree proves insufficient to enroll in this Master in Law programme.
International16630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16630 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.