Philosophy degree offered by the University of Bergen covers all areas of philosophy, with a special emphasis on Ancient Philosophy, Ethics and Political Philosophy, Logic, Philosophy of Science and Mathematics, and Wittgenstein Studies.
In the master’s programme in Philosophy you will discuss questions like:
- What is knowledge and how is it different from true belief? What really exists? Do numbers, souls, markets, and the future exist? Do I exist?
- Is there a universal rule, or principle that distinguishes right from wrong? Is morality subjective? Is it relative to human communities and historical periods?
- What is the best form to organize human society? Are values like freedom and equality necessarily in conflict? Do we have free will?
Through the study, you will broaden your knowledge and deepen your understanding of key topics in philosophy, and refine your critical skills. You will also develop the skills needed for independent research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Thesis Development and Methodology
- Master Topic in Theoretical Philosophy
- Master Topic in Practical Philosophy
- Master Topic in Aesthetics
- Master Topic in Moral Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesMathematics Philosophy & Ethics View 4 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Norway
- Bachelor's degree in Philosophy
- Additionally, applicants should include a 500-700-word statement that explains how their academic background and competence prepares them to do an MA in Philosophy
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
The semester fee is NOK 590
Living costs for Bergen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.