Why study Environment and Society Studies - Local Environmental Change and Sustainable Cities specialisation at Radboud University
- This programme focuses on the political transformations needed for societal change, in particular waterproofing and climate proofing cities. You will learn to acquire scientific insights by using numerous social and political issues from all over the world. You will also gain insight on how to take these scientific results and convert them into viable plans and policies.
- Because the Netherlands is renowned for its expertise in water, climate and spatial planning, it offers a conducive atmosphere for studying this particular field.
- Related aspects of spatial planning will be incorporated in this specialisation. You can also take courses from the Master’s in Spatial Planning as electives to acquire a multidisciplinary perspective.
After completion, you’ll be equipped with the following skills and knowledge for a young environmental practitioner, policy-maker or academic researcher. Among others, you’ll have the ability to:
- Apply relevant social science concepts and theories that are important when analysing and clarifying social change on the path towards a sustainable future.
- Analyse and design policy change for sustainability, including the methods of policy analysis, transition management and evaluation of policy.
- Facilitate collaboration between the public and private parties involved.
- Write policy documents, strategic plans or a position paper on environment and society.
- Identify and study lobbying and advocacy efforts concerning issues of sustainability.
- Work together in a professional and goal-oriented way in a wide range of social settings (interdisciplinary teams of experts, consultations and negotiations), taking into consideration other individuals’ stances values and beliefs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Institutional Perspectives: Territorial Governance by Market, State and Civil Society
- Sustainability and Societal Transformations
- Advanced Research Methods
- Cities, Water and Climate Change
- Master’s thesis and internship
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesSociology Sustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 45 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed:
- In order to get admission to this Master's you will need a completed Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Spatial Planning, Human Geography, or another related discipline.
- Proficiency in English
- Because of the academic nature of this programme, we require all our students to have basic training in research processes, e.g. research design and data analysis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website
- Please do note, that most of these scholarships are not fully funded. The Radboud Scholarship Programme (RSP) is the only scholarship that offers both fully and partially funded scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.