The Master's specialisation in Literary Studies focuses on textual scholarship and methods of literary interpretation in studying historical and contemporary literary texts. The programme draws broadly from the field of humanities in interpreting and researching literature.
This programme is closely connected to the Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies, meaning that you will work with and learn from experts in the field. You will also be paired with a personal tutor to help guide you in your research.
What will you learn?
Gain the skills to interpret historical and contemporary literary texts and understand the societal relevance of these texts
Get valuable research experience by designing, conducting and presenting your own research
Learn about a wide range of literary traditions, critical approaches and theoretical debates
Gain English academic writing skills and practise writing a publishable scholarly article and a proposal for a PhD project
Our research programme has produced graduates that are appreciated by employees for their research skills as well as their insightfulness and analytical skills, and who have not only learned how to delve into large quantity of data and master it but also how to place their results in a larger context.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Theoreticians in Humanities
- Regionalism and Beyond: Literary Perspectives
- Methods and Techniques in the Humanities
- Contemporary Debates in Humanities
- International Literary Research
- Key Research in Literary Studies
- Research Article
- Research Proposal
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
Radboud University will still consider EU/EEA applications until 1 July, but we may not be able to offer assistance with accommodation.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 30 other Masters in Literature in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You can be admitted to this specialisation if you have a Bachelor’s degree from a Research University in Literary Studies or a related area such as Cultural Studies, Liberal Arts, Classic, Dutch, Spanish, French, English, German, Arabic, American Studies or any other language. The Admission Office will determine if an international student has the required knowledge to be admitted.
- Your average grade during the second and third years of your BA studies has to have been at least a 7.5 and your Bachelor’s thesis had to have received a grade of at least 8.0.
- Strong motivation
- Letter of reference
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme
- The Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
- Holland Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships
- StuNed scholarship programme
- Radboud University Medical Center Study Fund
- Radboud Faculty of Arts Study Fund
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.