Why study Environment and Society Studies - Global Environment and Sustainability programme offered at the Radboud University
- All lectures, seminars and literature deal with internationally comparative studies on environment, sustainability and social and political change. Among the pressing issues addressed are those related to climate change, biodiversity, water quality, the quality of ecosystems and supply of natural resources.
- Unlike other Master’s programmes, this programme particularly focuses on the political transformations needed for societal change. You can acquire scientific insights by using numerous social and political issues from all over the world.
- Related aspects of human geography will be incorporated in this specialisation. You can also take courses from the Master’s in Human Geography as electives for a multidisciplinary perspective.
After completion, you’ll be equipped with the following skills and knowledge for a young environmental practitioner, policy-maker or academic researcher. Among others, you’ll have the ability to:
- Apply relevant social science concepts and theories that are important when analysing and clarifying social change on the path towards a sustainable future.
- Analyse and design policy change for sustainability, including the methods of policy analysis, transition management and evaluation of policy.
- Facilitate collaboration between the public and private parties involved.
- Write policy documents, strategic plans or a position paper on environment and society.
- Identify and study lobbying and advocacy efforts concerning issues of sustainability.
- Work together in a professional and goal-oriented way in a wide range of social settings (interdisciplinary teams of experts, consultations and negotiations), taking into consideration other individuals’ stances values and beliefs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Institutional Perspectives: Territorial Governance by Market, State and Civil Society
- Sustainability and Societal Transformations
- Advanced Research Methods
- Globalising Cities and Hinterlands
- Master’s thesis and internship
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesSociology Sustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 41 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed:
- In order to get admission to this Master's you will need a completed Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Spatial Planning, Human Geography, or another related discipline.
- Proficiency in English
- Because of the academic nature of this programme, we require all our students to have basic training in research processes, e.g. research design and data analysis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme
- The Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
- Holland Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships
- StuNed scholarship programme
- Radboud University Medical Center Study Fund
- Radboud Faculty of Arts Study Fund
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.