We believe that freedom plays an important role in unlocking potential. The master’s programme in Literary Studies has a high degree of flexibility to enable you to tailor the programme to your particular interests. Your curriculum could include a single or combined major and electives from other specialisations – even other master’s programmes. You are also free to go abroad for a specific university course or an internship in order to deepen or widen your focus.
Academics from the renowned Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) teach the master’s programme in Literary Studies. This means that every class you attend is taught by scholars of international standing who are true experts in their fields. Small, interactive classes or one-on-one mentoring ensure you get the most from their expert guidance and advice. An important objective is to teach you the value of questioning: you will acquire a broad, investigative and critical approach to problem solving that can be applied to any challenge in any role.
Literary Studies at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Literary Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsA few examples of positions held by our graduates :
- Account executive at a communications agency
- Policy officer at The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
- English/French/German/Italian teacher at a university of professional education
- English/French/German teacher at a secondary school
- Junior information specialist at an association of civil-law notaries
- Project officer for subtitling at a company specialising in media translations
- PhD researcher at a Dutch or foreign university
- Project manager at a translation and interpreting agency
- Publishing assistant at a legal publishing house
- Copywriter at a software and consultancy company
- Content manager and communications advisor at a multinational accountancy firm
More informationVisit official programme website
- The master’s programme in Literary Studies is a one-year full-time programme taught across two semesters. It comprises compulsory courses, elective courses, and the writing of an MA thesis.
- For detailed information about the curriculum, please check the specialisations.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguages Literature View 28 other Masters in Languages in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We invite motivated students from around the world to apply for the Master of Arts in Literary Studies.
- Admission requirements may vary per specialisation, please visit the specialisation of your interest to find out more about the entry requirements.
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.