During this two-year research master’s programme you will be able to choose from the largest selection of languages offered in Europe and an exceptional range of linguistic approaches including historical, descriptive, formal, cognitive, sociolinguistic, experimental and corpus-based studies. You will be able to explore sub-fields including phonetics, phonology, morphology, semantics, syntax, discourse, or pragmatics.
An important aspect of this programme is developing your ability to conduct original and innovative research. You will have to opportunity to attend conferences, workshops and lecture series organised in Leiden, all of which will help you forge an outstanding start to your career. Small classes ensure that you have plenty of direct contact with your lecturers and a high level of guidance and support throughout your studies.
Linguistics (Research) at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a research master’s degree in Linguistics and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsExamples of the roles of our graduates include:
- PhD Candidate at universities in the Netherlands or abroad, such as the US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany
- Junior advisor at an institute for linguistic research and language teaching
- Editor at a publishing house
- Freelance translator
- Consular officer at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Technical writer
- Content manager, editor, translator at NGO's
- Translator within EU organisations
- Author of digital educational materials
- Research assistant at an university in Canada
- Project manager at a translation agency
- Teacher at a secondary school
More informationVisit official programme website
During your studies you will take:
- Two core courses: one will introduce you to the cutting-edge research of leading scholars in linguistic sub-disciplines present at Leiden University, and the research methods employed in them, while the other provides overviews of the structure of five non-European languages by experts working on languages all over the world.
- Two short topics courses taught by experienced researchers on recent developments in the field.
- Courses from Summer and Winter Schools of the Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics (LOT).
- Electives from any of the specialisations within the Master's in Linguistics programme with a worth of 50 EC (of the 120 EC). You may also replace an elective course with an internship in a research project or at an organisation.
- A thesis based on original research.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 22 other Masters in Linguistics in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Research proposal
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.