Leiden University's Latin American Studies (Research) programme is your opportunity to explore the social, cultural, and historical narratives shaping present-day Latin America. Taught by international researchers, this interdisciplinary programme centers around the theme Latin American Modernities: Resistance, Revival and Change.
Latin American Studies (research) at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Latin American Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Positions of our recent graduates include:
- Intake advisor at a governmental agency aimed at promoting integration and assimilation of immigrants
- Standards and certification officer at an NGO promoting fair trade
- HR business partner at a multinational company producing consumer goods
- Project officer for children's rights at an NGO
- Social researcher at a Dutch city council
- Coordinator at an NGO focussing on education
- Communications expert at an NGO focussing on food safety and food security
- Senior consular officer at an embassy in the Netherlands
- Student services officer at a university in the United Kingdom
- PhD candidate at a university in Chile
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
More informationVisit official programme website
- During your first year you take two core courses covering the latest theoretical debates on the subject of modernity. You also study a relevant methodology course and submit a research proposal for your MA thesis.
- Three opportunities are available for you to study a thematic elective in your chosen area of specialisation. The thematic electives combined with the core courses will help you to define your own research interest within the profile and expertise of the programme.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Research Proposal
- Letters of recommendation
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.