The Research Master’s specialisation in Art and Visual Culture studies the theories and practices of visual culture from various angles, including the ways in which the interpretation of visual expressions change within particular cultural contexts.
This specialisation is designed for cultural scholars, classical archaeologists, and art historians alike. You’ll gain insight into the methods and theories of the humanities at large, as well as those specific to your own field.
Throughout the program, you will be offered plenty of opportunities to focus on your own topic in the fields of Art-History, Cultural Studies and Archaeology.
Future career opportunities
This Art and Visual Culture (Research) program at Radboud University is primarily intended to prepare its students for an academic career, in particular as PhD researchers. About half of our graduates find such a position in the Netherlands or abroad. The other half also do well and often find academic research-oriented positions. Some of them have been selected as candidates for in company training programs of institutions of higher education or governmental organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Theoreticians in the Humanities
- Art in its Historical Context
- Methods and Techniques in the Humanities
- Contemporary Debates in the Humanities
- The Body in Art and Visual Culture
- Key Research in Art and Visual Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History General Studies & Classics View 36 other Masters in Visual Arts in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Radboud University and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed Bachelor's degree from a Research University in Art History, Cultural Studies or Classical Languages and Culture or a related area. The Admission Board will determine if an international student has the required knowledge to be admitted.
- Your average grade during the final two years of your BA studies has to have been at least a 7.5 and your Bachelor’s thesis had to have received a grade of at least 8.0 (Grades in the Netherlands are out of 10. For more informatio see Conversion of international grades).
- Strong motivation
- You have to be able to demonstrate your motivation for and affinity with international and interdisciplinary academic research. A selection committee will evaluate the motivation of each applicant separately.
- Letter of reference
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2314 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2314 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.