The Economics programme from Bilkent University aims to train students to enable them to carry out independent research. For this purpose, the programs are designed to ensure that the students get a solid background in both economic theory and the techniques used in empirical research.
While the Department offers both M.A. and Ph.D. degrees, the M.A. degree is considered, in principle, as an intermediate step that is passed en route to the Ph.D. The core requirements common to both programs leave little room for choosing the courses to be taken in the first year, but the students are offered considerable flexibility as to their choice of the fields of specialization later on.
Students admitted to graduate studies in the department are expected to have a strong background in undergraduate level economics and some training in mathematics and statistics. Sufficient (though not necessarily a pre-condition) background would consist of an undergraduate degree in Economics, a year-long calculus sequence that includes multivariate analysis, a course in linear algebra, and a course in probability and statistics.
The Economics programme
Economics is the study of the behavior of economic units, institutions and systems and the choices that they make with respect to the allocation of scarce resources between production and consumption. It is concerned with a wide range of problems that directly affect society: the causes of unemployment and inflation, productivity and economic growth, foreign debt and trade links, and the role of government in market economies.
- Microeconomic Theory
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Masters Pre-Thesis Seminar
- Research Paper
- Master's Thesis
- Research Methods and Academic Publication Ethics
- Submission of ALES (Akademik Personel ve Lisansustu Egitimi Giris Sinavi/Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam) or GRE scores.
- Fluency in written and oral English. Please see the websites of each graduate school for the list of accepted tests.
- Official transcripts.
- Recommendations from instructors or others qualified to evaluate academic ability.
- Solid math background is recommended. Candidates with a strong analytical background from all disciplines are welcome to apply.
International14472 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14472 USD per year during 24 months.
National4166 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4166 USD per year during 24 months.
- 62,100 TL for national students
Living costs for Ankara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.