They also develop the ability to identify and resolve ethical issues involved in clinical research, to ensure the safeguarding of human subjects, and to understand Institutional Review Boards and other relevant regulatory requirements. Finally, University of Hawaii at Manoa students grow their capacity to seek and obtain NIH and other extramural funding to conduct clinical and translational research.
Adult learning theory and problem-based learning will be used to ensure that graduates develop the skills to become self-directed learners. The five competency domains include research, professionalism/ethics, culturally competent leadership and communication, interdisciplinary collaboration, and self-directed learning.
Research: Develop and implement ethically and culturally appropriate Clinical Research that addresses health disparities in Asian, Pacific Islander, and Filipino populations.
- Conduct clinical research with cultural competence.
- Analyze and synthesize literature toliterature to ascertain state of the science in regard to selected areas of clinical research, especially health disparities in Asian, Pacific Islander, and Filipino peoples.
- Use the Internet to access clinical research information.
- Apply appropriate research methodologies to answer clinical research questions.
- Demonstrate successful scientific writing skills by producing scholarly works and writing an approved clinical research proposal.
- Make correct inferences from data.
- Apply clinical research findings by implementing and monitoring an action plan based on relevant data.
Professionalism/ethics: Conduct ethically responsible and culturally competent clinical research
- Demonstrate knowledge of laws, regulations, and policies related to clinical research on the development and implementation of protocols.
- Apply ethical principles in the design and conduct of clinical research, especially with disadvantaged and underserved populations.
Culturally competent leadership and communication: Establish community- based research networks in selected area of clinical research interest
- Communicate in a culturally competent manner with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, and professional backgrounds and with persons of all ages and lifestyle preferences.
- Communicate effectively in writing and voicing demographic, statistical, and scientific information for professional and lay audiences.
Interdisciplinary collaboration: Work collaboratively, interdependently and effectively with other members of the clinical research team
- Manage clinical research project, including budget.
- Recruit and supervise necessary staff for clinical research project.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage research team task assignments.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work interdependently with other clinical research team members.
Self-directed learning: Demonstrate the skills for self-directed learning
- Be able to obtain appropriate feedback, consultation, and/or review before, during, and after a research project.
- Conceptualize and synthesize the state of the science related to selected clinical research questions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Clinical Research
- Legal and Regulatory Issues and Bioethics and Institutional Review Board
- Applied Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Applied Biostatistics in Clinical Research
- Bioanalytic Methods in Clinical Research
- Clinical Research Protocol Development and Scientific Writing
- Clinical Research Seminar
- Biomedical Research Practicum
- Advanced Biostatistics in Clinical Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine View 535 other Masters in Human Medicine in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.