Both tracks in the Humanities Research - Linguistics programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam are aimed at linguists who are looking for solid training in linguistics, coupled with a challenging specialisation in newly developing research fields with a fundamental concern for current society.
Human Language Technology is a young and rapidly evolving research field that holds a unique position between linguistics and computer science.
Forensic Linguistics/ Language and the Law is a new and exciting field, which has both a narrow and a broad definition. In its more specific sense it denotes the use of linguistic evidence in the courtroom.
- Your most likely prospect after completing your Research Master’s is to set up your own research programme as a PhD student. This involves carrying out research under the guidance of a supervisor, and writing a PhD thesis on the subject.
- You can also embark on a career at a research institute outside of the academic setting. There are many research institutes eager to welcome researchers schooled in qualitative and quantitative research.
- But you can also embark on a career outside the field of research, for instance as an editor, a language policy worker in education for a local or national government, or a teacher.
More informationVisit official programme website
- General Linguistics
- Why the Law Needs Language and Linguistics
- Linguistic Research Projects
- Interdisciplinary Research in the Humanities
- Python Programming for Text Analysis
- Essentials of Humanities Research
- Natural Language Processing Technology
- Methods of Authorship Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguages Educational Research Linguistics View 17 other Masters in Educational Research in Netherlands
- Admission is based on a strict selection procedure. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
- Applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics in order to be considered for admission to the programme. Furthermore, in order to be admitted directly we require a full Bachelor’s degree in linguistics and an average grade of at least 7.5.
International14762 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14762 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.