What is Information Systems?
Information Systems focus on how to best use technology to solve business problems and improve workflow operations. An Information Systems degree gives you the knowledge and skills you need to manage technology systems used by various organisations such as companies, public institutions, or non-profits.
Information Systems specialisations
The most common specialisations in Information Systems include:
- Data Analytics and Business Intelligence;
- Cybersecurity and Information Assurance;
- Enterprise Systems and Integration;
- IT Project Management;
- Digital Innovation and Strategy.
What will you learn during an Information Systems programme
Studying for an Information Systems degree provides a dynamic blend of technology and management classes. During this programme, you'll learn a range of skills to excel in the industry. If you're wondering why Information Systems is a good degree, here's what you'll gain:
- learn about data management;
- learn software development;
- skills in system analysis and design;
- skills in project management;
- stay up to date with the latest technology.
Common courses include:
- Database Management Systems teaches you to work with data systems;
- Coding, for learning relevant programming languages;
- Information Systems Principles, about designing and using information systems within organisations;
- Business Process Design, where you learn how to develop and use company workflows;
- Data Analytics teaches you to analyse data and draw conclusions from it.
During an Information Systems degree, you also learn to think critically and communicate with clarity. Moreover, the programme includes practical projects and prepares you to help companies be more successful with the help of technology.
Skills required to study Information Systems
A degree in Information Systems has a big focus on using technology which means technical and mathematical skills are the main Information Systems degree requirements. Apart from that, you need to be good at solving problems and adapting easily to new situations because both technology and businesses change much faster than other industries.
What can you do with a Degree in Information Systems?
With a degree in Information Systems, you can pursue diverse and rewarding career paths. Some popular job roles include:
- systems analyst;
- database administrator;
- cybersecurity analyst;
- project manager;
- business intelligence analyst.
Well-trained graduates in the tech field are always needed, so an Information Systems degree is worth it for sure.Read more