The USA qualifies as a dream for international students, in terms of rewards and costs. The degrees offered by American universities and colleges are worldwide renowned and attract international students even if the duration of the studies differ from those from European countries. Graduating a Bachelor’s degree or a Master program in the USA is also a great advantage since many of the country’s universities are famous for the brilliant academics throughout the world.
Overall fees for Bachelor's degree courses in the U.S.
The investment in your higher education in the United States depends on the type of institution you wish to enroll in.
- A state university usually has tuition fees of around 12,000 – 25,000 USD/year.
- If you prefer a private university, you will pay circa 18,000 – 35,000 USD/year.
More details about the average tuition for Bachelor's degrees in the United States.
Tuition fees for your U.S. Master’s studies
When it comes to Master degree courses, tuition fees also vary depending on your chosen discipline. Since Master programs focus on research and the practical study of a field and involve a higher amount of laboratories and projects.
There are differences between the tuition fees for academic and professional Master degree courses. The first of them costs around 20,000 – 30,000 USD/year, while the professional graduate programs have higher rates.
Find out details about public colleges in the U.S.
Most affordable universities in the USA
Check the list of American universities with some of the most affordable tuition fees:
- California State University Northridge – average tuition fees 8,000 USD/year
- Marshall University – average tuition fees 11,000 USD/year
- Depaul University – average tuition fees 25,000 USD/year
- University of Maryland – average tuition fees 18,000 USD/year
- Tulane University – average tuition fees 14,000 USD/year
Tuition fees at top-ranked universities
Here is a list of average tuition fees at the top-ranked U.S. universities:
- Princeton University – average tuition fees 41,300 USD/year
- Harvard University – average tuition fees 25,000 USD/year
- University of Chicago – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
- Yale University – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
- Columbia University – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
Master tuition fees in the United States according to your discipline
In the USA, you may notice that there are differences between tuition fees for programmes that are specialized in certain fields.
- Business – average tuition fees of 40,000 USD.
However, programmes taken full-time on campus at Harvard University or Stanford University could cost up to 120,000 USD.
See which are the best American MBA programs.
- Engineering – average tuition fees of 20,000 USD
You can also find programs that have tuition fees of around 47,060 USD/year, at the John Hopkins University. Find out why Engineering degrees are so popular in the U.S.
- Law – average tuition fees cost around 20,000 USD/year
You can also find cheaper programmes, for instance, at the City University of New York where fees for law degrees are around 10,000 USD/year.
Have a look at the best Law schools in the U.S.
- Medicine – tuition fees are between 17,000 USD/year and 50,000 USD/year.
Check out the best medical schools in USA.
- Computer Sciences and IT – fees range from 25,000 USD/year
- Literature, History and Humanities courses usually have tuition fees of a bit below the 20,000 USD/year average
- Education degrees are available at costs of 10,000 USD/year for international students.
Bachelors and Masters in Social Sciences can cost from around 8,000 USD/year up to even above 60,000 USD/year.
Scholarships for international students coming to the U.S.
Most universities offer financial assistance to international students focusing primarily on merit. Scholarships are easier to get for graduate studies. Study fields that usually receive more generous funding include engineering, physical sciences and biological sciences.
Some examples of scholarships you can apply to:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program;
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program – mostly for Master’s level courses but sometimes the foundation also considers applications for PhD programs.
- All universities in the U.S. are required to include fees and a financial aid calculator on their websites. Find them on the government website. Look for scholarships, grants, assistantships, work-study plans or consider study loans. Apply for financial aid the same time you submit your university application for U.S.
And remember! In order to study in the U.S. you need a student visa, so you should check out American student visa requirements based on your nationality: