The USA qualifies as a dream for international students, in terms of rewards and costs. The degrees offered by American universities and colleges are worldwide renowned and attract international students even if the duration of the studies differ from those from European countries. Graduating a Bachelor’s degree or a Master's program in the USA is also a great advantage since many of the country’s universities are famous for the brilliant academics throughout the world.
Tuition fees for your U.S. Master’s studies
When it comes to Master degree courses, tuition fees also vary depending on your chosen discipline. Since Master programs focus on research and the practical study of a field and involve a higher amount of laboratories and projects.
There are differences between the tuition fees for academic and professional Master degree courses. The first of them cost around 20,000 – 30,000 USD/year, while the professional graduate programs have higher rates.
Find out details about public colleges in the U.S.
Most affordable universities in the USA
Check the list of American universities with some of the most affordable tuition fees:
- California State University Northridge – average tuition fees 8,000 USD/year
- Marshall University – average tuition fees 11,000 USD/year
- Depaul University – average tuition fees 25,000 USD/year
- University of Maryland – average tuition fees 18,000 USD/year
- Tulane University – average tuition fees 14,000 USD/year
Tuition fees at top-ranked universities
Here is a list of average tuition fees at the top-ranked U.S. universities:
- Princeton University – average tuition fees 41,300 USD/year
- Harvard University – average tuition fees 25,000 USD/year
- University of Chicago – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
- Yale University – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
- Columbia University – average tuition fees 50,000 USD/year
Online Masters from universities in the U.S.
Here is a short selection of universities offering online Masters in the U.S. in case you want to save up on travel and living costs and you just want to study remotely:
Master's tuition fees in the United States based on subject
In the USA, you may notice that there are differences between tuition fees for programmes that are specialized in certain fields.
1. Tuition fees for Business Masters
Business – average tuition fees of 40,000 USD.
However, programmes taken full-time on campus at Harvard University or Stanford University could cost up to 120,000 USD.
2. Tuition fees for Engineering Masters
Engineering – average tuition fees of 20,000 USD
You can also find programs that have tuition fees of around 47,060 USD/year, at the John Hopkins University.
3. Tuition fees for Law Masters
Law – average tuition fees cost around 20,000 USD/year
You can also find cheaper programmes, for instance, at the City University of New York where fees for law degrees are around 10,000 USD/year.
4. Tuition fees for Medicine Masters
Medicine – tuition fees are between 17,000 USD/year and 50,000 USD/year.
5. Tuition fees for IT Masters
Computer Sciences and IT – fees range from 25,000 USD/year
6. Tuition fees for Humanities Masters
7. Tuition fees for Education Masters
Education degrees are available at costs of 10,000 USD/year for international students.
8. Tuition fees for Social Sciences MastersMasters in Social Sciences can cost from around 8,000 USD/year up to even above 60,000 USD/year.
Scholarships for international students coming to the U.S.
Most universities offer financial assistance to international students focusing primarily on merit. Scholarships are easier to get for graduate studies. Study fields that usually receive more generous funding include engineering, physical sciences and biological sciences.
Some examples of scholarships you can apply to:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program;
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program – mostly for Master’s level courses but sometimes the foundation also considers applications for PhD programs.
- All universities in the U.S. are required to include fees and a financial aid calculator on their websites. Find them on the government website. Look for scholarships, grants, assistantships, work-study plans or consider study loans. Apply for financial aid the same time you submit your university application for U.S.
Apply now to a Master's in the United States
You can now apply with Studyportals to our partner universities in the U.S. You can apply whenever you want, and it won't cost you anything.
Check the available Masters and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf.