It conveys theory-based knowledge in the fields of history, religious practice, philosophy, politics, law, culture, and theology.
- The Islamic Studies programme from Freie Universität Berlin also explores broader issues such as gender and the patterns of perception of Muslim and non-Muslim actors in politics and law of the modern Islamic world and Islam in Europe and South Asia.
- The Department of History and Cultural Studies covers a wide range of different eras, from antiquity to the modern period, and a vast physical area, stretching from Europe and the Middle East to Asia and the Americas. The Department of History and Cultural Studies offers a research profile found nowhere else in Germany.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students at the Friedrich Meinecke Institute of History can learn about the subject in all the periods from ancient Greece to contemporary history. The Department of Art History is one of the largest in Germany.
- The subject is taught with an emphasis on a cross-regional perspective, with specializations in art from East Asia, South Asia, or Africa. The classical studies include the disciplines of Egyptology, ancient Near Eastern Studies, Archaeology, Prehistoric Archaeology, and Near Eastern Archaeology.
- The East Asian, Middle Eastern, and North African regions are all studied from interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary perspectives in the fields of Iranian Studies, Islamic Studies, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Semitic Studies, and Arabic Studies, as well as Sinology and Turkic Studies.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Islamic Studies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in the history and culture of the Near East from Freie Universität Berlin or an equivalent degree that corresponds in terms of structure and content.
- Proof of Arabic language skills (writing: level C1 CEFR) and oral Arabic language skills (level B1 CEFR).
- Proof of English language skills (writing: level B2 CEFR) as well as written and oral Englisch language skills (level B2 CEFR) and the ability to read an additional foreign language used in international scholarly discourse (French, Spanish, Italian, or Russian) (level B2 CEFR).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.