Pain is a multidimensional phenomenon and as such needs to be managed through multidisciplinary initiatives. These initiatives must be based on specialist knowledge, rigorous research and an advanced understanding of the physiological and behavioural concepts involved.
This two-year MSc in Pain Management from Cardiff University begins by introducing you to the multifaceted nature of caring for patients who have pain. The modules are designed to provide you with the ability to understand the biopsychosocial aspects of pain and to evaluate the various approaches to assessing and managing patients in pain. Professional issues, including quality and safety, leadership and law will also be covered.
The course is suitable for the needs of primary, secondary and tertiary care professionals.
Our assessments are structured to allow you to focus on your own areas of interest and to evaluate topics in relation to your practice and professional base.
Successful completion of this programme will add value to your CV. Graduates have reported that it has led directly to promotion, and many were also stimulated to pursue academic careers via further study up to PhD.
All of the students undertaking this programme will be in employment. However, many senior health care roles require clinicians to have advanced academic training and therefore the MSc is seen as a vehicle for promotion to extended and senior roles.
The involvement of leadership, organisational management and quality and safety modules, facilitate innovation and change within health care and provide transferable skills that alumni can apply in any health care setting. Publication of your dissertation and/or the implementation of a successful and sustainable change will be viewed highly by senior managers.
This Masters programme enables you to demonstrate you are taking the opportunity to develop your abilities in critical analysis, problem-solving, decision-making, finding and using evidence and in dealing with complex issues. It will allow you to demonstrate mastery of pain assessment and management.
Studying at this level will also help students demonstrate numerous academic skills that should be highly regarded in relation to your career development and progression. In particular, the programme offers opportunities to demonstrate the development of knowledge and skills in relation to the application of evidence-based medicine and the potential enhancement of services and governance frameworks. As such, it will provide evidence of commitment and potential that may assist you in relation to taking on greater responsibilities or perhaps seeking management, research, scholarship, or leadership roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals of Pain Management
- Biopsychosocial Principles in Pain Management
- Research, Statistics and Evidence-based Medicine
- Patient Case Studies: Option
- Clinical Management: Options
- Professional Issues: Options
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 222 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- Hold a higher education qualification, minimum of a BSc (Hons) grade 2:2 or equivalent, from a recognised institution.
- Be able to demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Head of School or nominee, that they have held for a minimum of two years a position of responsibility of relevance to the proposed programme.
- Be working in a clinical area that is relevant to the programme they are undertaking for the full duration of their studies.
You will also need to provide:
- evidence that you are currently registered with the professional body relevant to your profession
- a personal statement which does not exceed 500 words. In your personal statement you will need to confirm that you are currently working in a relevant clinical area and will be for the full duration of your studies.
International7850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7850 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 GBP per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.