TESL graduate students gain experience and understanding in such areas as: current issues in TESL theory and practice, second language acquisition, second language reading and writing, language socialization, language and identity, second language assessment, discourse analysis, critical applied linguistics, and research methods.
The MA Teaching English as a Second Language program offered by University of British Columbia has a research emphasis and includes a thesis, whereas the MEd program has a professional emphasis and includes the option of a major paper. Each program requires a minimum of 30 credits of approved graduate work, at least 24 of which must be numbered 500 or above.
Integrating research and practice, our TESL programs offer professional development to teachers of ESL and prepare researchers and leaders in this field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language, Discourse, and Identity
- Bilingual Education: Theory and Practice
- Second Language Assessment: Conceptual and Empirical Approaches
- Research and Theory in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language
- Theories of Second Language Acquisition.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 67 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a sample of work demonstrating an ability to undertake research and scholarly writing
- CV or resume outlining work experience and academic history
- a well-written 500 word (maximum) Statement of Intent
- letters of support of three referees
- if admitted, all official transcripts and degree certificates from all post-secondary institutions attended outside UBC
International13604 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13604 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National7285 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7285 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.