Why choose this Graphic Communication Design programme from University of the Arts London (UAL)
- Research-based: The course combines studio and research-based engagement with contemporary culture and media to transform the traditional practices, tools and contexts of graphic design.
- Experimental practice: We experiment with existing and emerging specialisms, such as book design, illustration and virtual reality, without prescription or presumption.
- Agents of change: We position graphic communication designers as actors within a range of contexts, networks and practices.
- Diverse community: Our dynamic subject approach is rooted in a highly international and interdisciplinary community which values diversity in all its forms.
Careers and alumni
It's easier and more affordable to print a newspaper or a book, publish a web page, or shoot and edit a video than it's ever been before. This democratisation of media is energising, but what becomes of the professional designer? By asking important questions such as why we design, what it means to claim identities as graphic communication designers, and where being a designer may take us, graduates of MA Graphic Communication Design are well equipped to take a pro-active and innovative approach to building their futures.
Our interrogative approach to careers is underpinned by a wide range of practical exposure and support. Students attend weekly Graphic Communication Design programme lectures by contemporary practitioners, which explore a variety of professional practices and offer insights into life as a designer. The programme also hosts alumni events where graduates share their experiences and network with students. The university also provides a wide range of practical careers support available to all students at UAL.
Our graduates have gone on to launch their own studios and publishing companies, work for large-scale institutions and corporations around the world, freelance in their chosen areas, or develop their own new models for design practice. An increasing number of our graduates are following the MA with PhD study and choosing to pursue a design research career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Graphic Communication Design as Research
- This course takes the position that the production of knowledge is intertwined closely with its form and circulation. This opens up new ways of working, new kinds of integrity and effectiveness.
Situated Practice in Graphic Communication Design
- While the intention of Unit 1 is to expose you to a diverse range of perspectives, Unit 2 provides a framework for challenging and strengthening your particular stance as a designer. Individual reflection and authorship are a key part of this process. In situating your practice, you will be expected to critically interrogate the wider frames of reference to which your work is related.
Graphic Communication Design Project
- This final unit synthesises and builds upon your experiences in Units 1 and 2. It explores how interrogation of the details and processes of production can extend the proposition of graphic communication design as research.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 146 other Masters in Graphic Design in United Kingdom
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
- An honours degree
- Or an equivalent EU/international qualification.
International16450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16450 GBP per year during 24 months.
National6455 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6455 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.