The MA Graphic Communication Design couse at University of the Arts London (UAL) pursues a direct and in-depth connection between the ‘applied arts’ tradition of graphic design and a critical and creative approach to communication. A carrier signal, in any form of communication, is the baseline flow of information. It is continuously modulated to transmit messages; it refigures meaning. If music can be understood as a carrier signal for the twentieth century, both expressing and amplifying waves of cultural change, then graphic communication design reveals itself to be the carrier signal of the twenty-first.
The MA Graphic Communication Design cultivates a considered stance towards visual and other media. Through this course, you will be challenged to simultaneously develop critical positions, through and about graphic communication design, and innovate its new forms. The curriculum synthesises research driven and hands on approaches to graphic and communication design.
Graduates have gone on to launch their own studios and publishing companies, work for large-scale institutions and corporations around the world, freelance in their chosen areas, or develop their own new models for design practice. An increasing number of our graduates are following the MA with PhD study and choosing to pursue a design research career.
- Graphic Communication Design as Research
- Situated Practice in Graphic Communication Design
- Graphic Communication Design Project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Communication Sciences Graphic Design View 244 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United Kingdom
- An honours degree OR
- An equivalent EU / international qualification.
- What motivates you to pursue postgraduate study in graphic communication design?
- If your undergraduate degree was in an art/design subject, what do you hope to gain from further study?
- If your undergraduate degree was in another subject, how do you think studying graphic communication design will extend and expand upon your existing experience?
- Choose any recent film or television show. Write a brief critical response focusing on analysis rather than summary of any aspect. If useful, feel free to cite relevant literature.
International16450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6455 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6455 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,000 are now available for eligible UK and EU students.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.