The M.Sc. Program in Marine Geosciences offered by the University of Haifa . Established in 2007 as part of the multidisciplinary Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences, the Department of Marine Geosciences combines research and graduate studies of the marine environment in the following main disciplines: exploration geophysics, seafloor mapping, remote sensing, geodynamics, tectonics, marine and coastal sedimentology, geochemistry, chemical and physical oceanography.
Topics to be covered include: the structure of the seafloor; the Earth’s crust below it and the search for energy sources (oil, gas, hydrates); the dynamics of the water body above it; sea level variations and their relation to tectonic and climate changes; coastline developments in present and past times; and, finally, present and past influences on human evolution. Students will have the opportunity to interact with central research institutions in Israel including the Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Institute, the Geological Survey of Israel, the Geophysical Institute of Israel and other industrial institutes.
Taught in English, the MA Marine Geosciences program at University of Haifa can be completed in two years and begins every October. Coursework, field trips and an educational cruise are held during the first two semesters, the summer semester is dedicated to establishing a research proposal, while the second year is dedicated to conducting research. Students will be required to submit a research thesis at the end of the second year of the program. Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a Master of Science in Marine Geosciences.
Graduates of the program will be well-placed to pursue careers within government research agencies, onshore and offshore site investigation contractors or consultancy companies, and various branches of higher education and research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Geophysical Investigation of the Marine Environment
- Signals Analysis - Fundamentals and Application
- Geology of Marine Sediments
- Physical Oceanography
- Geochemical Oceanography
- Educational Cruise
- Scientific Writing and Research Presentation
- Intoduction to Geology
- Introduction to Geophysics
- Seismic Processing and Imaging
- Processes in Marine Geology
- Numerical Methods in Physics of Continuum
- Processesing and Analysis of Seismic Data: Workshops
- Seismic Data Interpretation
- Two-Phase Flow
- Tectonics of the Oceans
- Geology of the Eastern Meditteranean
- Seafloor Morphology
- Topics in Coastal Geomorphology
- New Frontiers in Marine Research
- Natural Energy
- Underwater Geoarchaeology in Caesarea
- Paleolimnology of the Dead Sea Region: Field Trip
- Marine Geology of Mt. Carmel, Exploring the Cretaceous Seafloor: Field Trip
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesGeography Geology Marine Engineering
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Accredited B.Sc. degree from a recognized academic institution in geology, geophysics, marine science, engineering or other related sciences (complementary studies may be required), with a minimum grade of 80 or equivalent.
- Department pre-requisites are a basic knowledge of science in the following areas: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Atmosphere, English and Computers.
- TOEFL scores of at least 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 80 (internet-based test).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research statement – goals and aims of the planned research (500-750 words)
- Official diploma and grade transcripts
- Suitable applicants will be interviewed.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9910 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Some of the MA programs have a limited number of scholarships available for students based on financial need. Students who are in financial need are encouraged to submit an application.
In addition to the University of Haifa need-based scholarship you can also submit applications to all other scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible (MASA, local Jewish Federation, etc.).
Find out more by visiting the University website!
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.