The Moving Cultures - Transcultural Encounters programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt is a four language programme of study which deepens the culture and literary-science core competences acquired in an English, Romance language or comparable Bachelor degree programme and connects these with an interdisciplinary perspective on phenomena of cultural contact within the anglophone, francophone and Spanish-speaking world.
The areas of focus of the Master’s degree programme therefore lies on the transcultural processes in history and the present and the associated negotiation strategies in the respective regional and historical context, which manifest themselves in writing, images, sound and other media.
These processes and strategies are moved in the Master’s degree programme Moving Cultures into the centre point of learning through research, as an example, based on concrete transcultural contact zones.
A number of contact zones are studied as an example from the following list as part of the course:
- Canada (with the bipolarity of an anglophone and a francophone culture in the context of a multicultural migration society)
- the Caribbean (with its history and present status deeply affected by hybridity, creolization and culture syncretism)
- Latin America (with the multi-faceted relationships between Spain and the Latin American countries as well as with other regions, above all North America and Africa, through to the current Latino culture in the USA
- Africa (with its language diversity, the interaction of “old“ and “new“ diasporas and the Maghreb as a European-African contact zone),
- the South Asian diaspora (which connects Asia with North America, Africa, the Caribbean, Europe as well as the Pacific region)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 65 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable degree in a similar subject
- Letter of Motivation (max. 800 words)
- Proof of English and French or Spain language skills - you have to choose an object language
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skills according to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester fee: 366.71 EUR
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.