The world's population is set to grow by more than 40 per cent between now and the end of the century. With an extra 3 billion more humans to feed, shelter and nurture, there's an urgent need for experienced planning professionals who can create sustainable and liveable communities for all. With the Australian Government forecasting strong future job growth for urban and regional planners, there's never been a better time to advance your career in this important field.
If you've always wanted to help shape the world around you – or you're already working in planning and would like to advance your career – La Trobe's accredited Master of Planning offers a unique opportunity to excel in this high-demand field. Develop advanced knowledge of complex planning processes and learn how to create sustainable towns, cities and regions.
Explore the big issues in planning. How do we ensure communities have equitable access to housing, food, transport, education and healthcare? Can we make our communities safer and more resilient? And how can we ensure communities are meaningfully consulted about changes that affect them?
In the Master of Planning from La Trobe University , you'll examine the latest social, economic and environmental trends and explore the latest research on planning best practice. You'll learn how to design innovative solutions to existing and emerging problems, and understand how to transform key policies for urban, regional and rural communities in Australia and overseas.
After graduation, you could work in the planning and environment departments of local governments, state governments agencies, regional bodies, research organisations and the private sector. The Master of Planning is accredited by the Planning Institute of Australia, which means you could be suitable for roles such as:
- Senior strategic planner
- Develop a vision for the future. Take a lead role in long-term planning for towns, cities and land use.
- Planning compliance manager
- Create and manage development compliance policies and programs. Ensure organisations meet their governance and regulatory requirements.
- Town planner
- Lead the design of developments and growth strategies that balance liveability, access to services and environmental considerations.
- Placemaking professional
- Shape our cities. Take a lead role in planning urban developments such as public spaces, housing, transport and community service design.
- Environmental planner
- Plan for a sustainable future. Take a lead role in ensuring built environments are environmentally sustainable and protect natural resources through strategic planning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Negotiation, Mediation and Community Consultation
- Research Skills
- Planning Theory, Urban Strategy and Design
- Environmental, Social and Community Impact Assessment
- Governance, Public Policy and Legislation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
La Trobe University assesses applications on a rolling basis which means you can apply for the next upcoming intake or available future intakes.
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development Urban Planning View 43 other Masters in Urban Planning in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at La Trobe University and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- CRICOS code: 107134H
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- An approved graduate qualification (e.g: Graduate Diploma in a planning or planning related field).
- 6.5 IELTS (Academic) with no individual band less than 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34200 AUD per year during 24 months.
National22000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.