The Biology program of University of Victoria, British Columbia is typically 2-2.5 years in length. PhD degrees are typically 4-5 years in length. Students in the MSc program can request to transfer to the PhD program, with approval of their supervisory committee, and within the appropriate timeline.
Our faculty are making an impact with a number of vital research programs:
- Ecology and evolution
- Cell and molecular biology
- Genetics and genomics
- Forest biology
- Marine science
At UVic, your research will be supported by access to research centres and groups, and dedicated facilities including research labs, Bev Glover Greenhouse, aquatics facility and our strong connections with local institutional scientists and the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MSc program requires 2 courses (3 units in total) and the PhD program requires 3 courses (4.5 units in total) of 500 level course work (NOTE: a ‘term’ course = 1.5 units). Decisions on course load are made by the student and his/her supervisor, with recommendations from the student’s supervisory committee.
- Courses are selected to expand a student's expertise, to develop a technical ability, or to provide theoretical background critical to the execution of the proposed research. In some cases, the course load is designed to strengthen a student's perceived weakness.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications and inquiries are accepted year-round.
DisciplinesBiology Neuroscience Genetics View 68 other Masters in Genetics in Canada
- Admission to the MSc program requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Biology or Biochemistry or related field, with a minimum grade point of 6.5 on the University of Victoria 9-point scale (= B+/A-), or its equivalent, in the second half of a BSc (last two years or equivalent). Please note that our minimum GPA requirement is higher than the Faculty of Graduate Studies' minimum requirement.
- Admission to the PhD program will normally require an MSc in Biology or Biochemistry or related field, with a minimum GPA of 7.0 (=A-, 1st class standing) on the University of Victoria 9-point scale.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.