Graduate Earth and Planetary Sciences programs offered by McGill University are based on research, although some courses are required to build the backgrounds of students. Research in the Department is wide-ranging, and includes:
- studies of the geochemistry of the mantle;
- the nature of processes concentrating metals in hydrothermal mineral deposits;
- experimental studies of the controls of viscosity in magmas and the mechanisms of volcanic eruption;
- the fate of carbon and trace metals in marine sediments;
- the nature of changes in atmospheric and oceanic chemistry in the early and late Precambrian;
- mechanisms of faulting;
- the evolution of topography during orogenesis;
- wetland hydrogeology;
- interactions between the cryosphere, solid Earth, and climate systems;
- planetary-scale ocean biogeochemistry (e.g., ocean acidification) and its relationship to global warming.
There is a very substantial interdisciplinary basis to much of the research.
Facilities in the Department include low-temperature and pressure to high-temperature and pressure experimental laboratories, a stable-isotope mass spectrometer, laser-ablation ICP-MS, and electron microprobe, as well as atomic absorption spectrometers. Our students also make substantial use of other facilities at McGill and at nearby Université du Québec à Montréal.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Aquatic Geochemistry
- Economic Geology
- Geophysics and Climate
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 53 other Masters in Earth Sciences in Canada
- Online application and application fee
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Writing sample/portfolio
- A research supervisor
- Study permits/student visas
International18110 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9055 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National7940 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3970 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.