Translation and interpreting is just as much an art as it is a skill. Talented professionals are proficient bilinguals who love language, who possess excellent public speaking skills and who are meticulous right down to the tiniest details.
They are supremely talented at instantly transforming expressions, colloquialisms and other culturally specific references into statements their target audience will understand.
The Translation and Interpreting Studies (Advanced) program at Macquarie University allows you to achieve greater depth in either translation or interpreting, or in both disciplines.
You'll also have the opportunity to take electives that further develop your specialised practice in areas such as subtitling, as well as translation and interpreting in medical, legal and business settings.
Graduates will be well prepared to pursue a career as professional translators and interpreters in a range of settings including:
- Community translation and interpreting (e.g. governments, courts, tribunals, police, clinics and hospitals)
- International Conferences (primarily conference interpreting)
- Business (e.g. business meetings, internal and external documents and contracts)
- Industry products (e.g. manuals, localization)
- Regional and international events (e.g. Olympics and Paralympics)
- Broadcasting and publishing
The program is a NAATI (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters) approved course for certification at professional and advanced translator and interpreter's level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Translation Practice
- Interpreting Practice
- Translation and Interpreting
- Technology for Translating and Interpreting
- Professional Practice in Translating and Interpreting
- Communication Skills for Translators and Interpreters
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- International - We recommend applying early for your course to ensure you have adequate time to arrange your student visa.
DisciplinesEducation Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 211 other Masters in Education in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS CODE: 099191C
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent, and
- Proficiency in one of the available languages, and
- For students whose first language is English, completion of an admission assessment
International33600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 AUD per year during 24 months.
National21600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21600 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.