With large scale DNA synthesis, miniaturization and parallelization we have unprecedented tools at our fingertips to program cellular and molecular behaviour. In the ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Biotechnology master's programme, students are trained to exploit these two major developments for the study and re-programming of cells. At the same time, students are endowed with the knowledge of how to exploit biological systems for applications in health and the pharmaceutical and chemical industry at various scales from molecule to reactor. Next to insights into the most relevant advanced topics of modern biotechnology, students can profit in classes and projects from the close industrial ties and insights into the entrepreneurial aspects of modern biotechnology.
- Intensive training in the molecular science and engineering discipline of the 21st century with world-renowned scientists in the heart of the world's pharma capital
- Host: ETH Zurich (note: the programme will take place on the Basel site of ETH Zurich)
- Two-year master's degree programme, 120 ECTS, English language
- Research orientation
- Two tracks: biomolecular or systems orientation
- Course selection: mentor-based, flexible
Job perspectives of graduates from the ETH master's degree programme in Biotechnology are excellent. Typical careers include employment and entrepreneurship in the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry, including the major global players headquartered in Basel and the strong Swiss startup sector in the biotechnology field, but also in a broad variety of other sectors ranging from chemistry and chemical engineering via food biotechnology and consulting to insurance and the public sector. About half of the graduates continue to obtain a PhD inside and outside of the Department.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The programme is developed around three closely interrelated themes:
- Intensive training in biotechnology with a strong research footing in modern topics ranging from stem cell biology via immunotechnology, bionanotechnology and bioengineering to the various implementations of synthetic biology
- The programme is designed to integrate the quantitative and model-based approaches that are crucial to modern biotechnology. Programme participants are invited and encouraged to endorse and exploit a broader, systems-oriented view of the cell, a particular strength of the ETH Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering.
- Integration of core industrial and entrepreneurial elements into the curriculum provides a strong foundation for future careers in the biotech and pharma industry - or any other field graduates might chose.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology View 39 other Masters in Biology in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the degree programme presupposes a university Bachelor’s degree comprising at least 180 ECTS (1 credits, an equivalent university degree, or a Bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of applied sciences(2 in a natural sciences or technical discipline the content of which – also with regard to any additional academic requirements within the given framework – satisfies the pertaining academic and performance admission prerequisites.
- A Bachelor's degree qualifies its holder for admission to an ETH Master's degree programme only if it also qualifies said holder to enter, without additional requirements, the desired Master's degree programme within the university system where the Bachelor's degree was acquired. The Rector may also demand proof of this, determining whether such proof must come from the home university or from another university in the country where the Bachelor's degree was acquired.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 24 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.