Do you want to contribute in making business more sustainable? Are you interested in finding sustainability solutions for businesses and organisations? Do you want to be part of climate change mitigation? The Corporate Environmental Management Master’s Programme (CEM) at the University of Jyväskylä enhances understanding and provides expertise on these issues and more.
The CEM Master’s Programme aims at educating students to become experts in corporate sustainability with an environmental focus. It offers its graduates an integrated and interdisciplinary approach to environmental issues preparing the graduates to tackle these complex issues in business life. The international learning environment provides skills for identifying and managing environmental impacts; promoting environmental sustainability in business; and innovating new business solutions and sustainable business models.
Jyväskylä was the first university in in the Nordic region to offer a complete master's and doctoral programme in Corporate Environmental Management. Training in CEM was launched in 1995 and the programme has been an international master’s degree programme since 2003. Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics has been proactive in integrating corporate environmental management in its curriculum, research, and other activities.
Structure of studies
Master’s programme in corporate environmental management consists of compulsory environmental management courses, minor studies in environmental/natural science (students with business background) or basic business studies (students with environmental/natural science background), and language/communication skills courses, and optional courses.
Primarily our applicants have either a business background or natural sciences background (eg. environmental engineering), but we do also accept applicants from other fields provided that their motivation is well-explained.
At the end of the studies students should write a Master's thesis. On successful completion of the Master's thesis, students will be able to:
- successfully complete an individual academic research project;
- identify problems related to corporate environmental management, and define and justify research problems for their own Master’s thesis;
- form a theoretical framework for an academic study;
- identify and justify the choice of the research methods of their own Master’s thesis;
- analyse and evaluate research results;
- make theoretical and practical conclusions based on research results;
- produce an academic research report.
Graduates from the Master's Degree Programme in Corporate Environmental Management can work either in the public sector in public administration, municipalities, towns or environment centers, or in the private sector in companies. In addition, national and international non-governmental and other organisations are potential employers. Job titles can be for example:sustainability expert/specialist/analyst, environmental manager/expert, sustainability project manager, sales and sustainability specialist, corporate responsibility reporting specialist, project coordinator, sustainability and biofuels expert, climate and energy consultant, energy trader, researcher; and entrepreneur.The graduates can also work in the field of environmental-related marketing, accounting, entrepreneurship, reporting and communications based on their own interests.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Sustainable Transition and Business
- Material Flow Management
- Managing a Green Organisation
- CEM Project Work or Internship
- Corporate Strategies for Sustainable Business
- Sustainable Consumption and Marketing
- Environmental Management in Stakeholder Networks
- Research Methodology
- Master Level Research Tutorial
- Master's Thesis
- Maturity Test
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesCorporate Social Responsibility Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 11 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Finland
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree, which gives eligibility to Master’s level education in the country in which the degree was issued. Applicants holding a degree, which gives eligibility to Doctoral programmes, should primarily seek admission to Doctoral level. The higher education degree must be in the fields of digital marketing or corporate communication.
- The higher education institution awarding the degree has to be a recognised part of the official national education system of the country, i.e. to be listed as a degree-granting higher education institution by the country where it is located or by a relevant international organisation (such as UNESCO).
International10000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
University of Jyväskylä offers scholarships covering tuition fee costs for its most successful international Master’s degree students. You are eligible for a JYU scholarship if you are
- eligible to apply to study in an IMDP offered by JYU
- liable to pay tuition fees: please see our FAQ
Scholarships are granted based on the admission criteria of the programme in question.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.