If you've got a passion for physics and engineering materials, but want to keep your job opportunities open, this Optical Fibre and Photonic Engineering MSc course offered by the University of Southampton. Many students go on to study for a PhD, but many also go into industry, or set up their own business.
You’ll be part of an active, research-focused, postgraduate-only community; the largest photonics group in the UK. You'll also have a rare opportunity to see firsthand how fibres are made, as we’re one of only a handful of universities with optical fibre production facilities.
During this MSc degree, you'll make photonic components and devices in our new 1,200m2 cleanroom complex. This is the largest multidisciplinary cleanroom of its type in the UK.
Our inventions can be found on the Moon, on Mars and on the International Space Station. We built the foundations of the internet and our research is powering changes in medicine, telecommunications, defence, renewable energy and manufacturing.
Some of the best photonics researchers in the world will support you to develop your research skills and you’ll gain hands-on experience of the many practical applications of optical fibres and photonics engineering.
You'll gain practical insights into how to run a modern photonics business through our Industrial Showcase Week. During the week you’ll visit several businesses and learn from experienced photonics business leaders how to apply research and engineering skills to real-world problems.
We’ll foster your entrepreneurial spirit, helping you develop your ideas and connect with mentors and investors; 11 spin-out companies have so far been developed from our Optical Research Centre.
- Our academics’ industry knowledge and their global network of contacts in the photonics sector mean they are well placed to help you with your career choices, and may be able to put you in touch with photonics companies that match your specialist skills and interests.
- Our masters students also have access to career support through our dedicated Careers Hub. It organises an annual careers fair attended by photonics companies, runs careers workshops throughout the year and coordinates an online jobs portal.
- Advanced Lasers
- Optical Fibres
- Advanced Fibre Telecommunication
- Optical Fibre Sensors
- Photonics Laboratory and Study Skills
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Physics General Engineering & Technology View 206 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
- You’ll need the minimum of a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) in a related discipline such as physics, electronics, engineering, materials science or mathematics.
International28000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £28,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.