Geography studies the processes that alter and shape the world we live in.
Geographers aim to understand reciprocal influences and dependencies in their field, they document change, formulate scenarios and develop sustainable plans of action for the future. This includes examining both physical processes and the interplay between humans and the environment. Physical geography explores morphological processes on the earth’s surface, investigates the properties of water, snow and ice in the hydrological cycle, and studies soil and vegetation in climate change.
Human geography and economic geography analyze how human beings, groups and institutions shape their habitats and how they act within them. A distinctive characteristic of the institute is the strong emphasis on modeling and quantitative methods. Advanced geographic information systems and remote sensing technologies are instrumental in modeling the processes being investigated as well as in illustrating and understanding spatial phenomena.The Master of Science (MSc) in Geography from University of Zurich offers students the opportunity to specialize within the field of geography.
- Physical Geography
- Human Geography
- Remote Sensing
- Geographic Information Science
Geography graduates have promising employment opportunities thanks to their comprehensive education. This is particularly true where teamwork and interdisciplinary collaboration are required. Opportunities for graduates include positions in planning, architectural or engineering firms, industrial companies and in the private service industry as well as in non-profit organizations, in public administration and in the educational system. Targeted specialization can significantly improve students’ career opportunities.
- This major program offers an in-depth subject-specific focus and guides students towards applied research
- Students learn to apply theories, methods and approaches from certain fields in Geography to problems in research and practice, and to critically classify and reflect on these.
- Students are able to defend a position on a scientific basis and to critically reflect on and defend their own research results within a scientific discussion.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesGeography View 8 other Masters in Geography in Switzerland
The following academic degrees exempt the holder from having to pass any further examinations for admission to the a Master’s degree course:
- -A Bachelor's degree from the Faculty of Science of the University of Zurich, whereby the Faculty determines which types of the Bachelor's degree are required for admission to the respective Master's degree courses.
- - Corresponding degrees of Swiss and foreign universities which are generally recognized by the Faculty, or recognized by subject. In terms of paragraph 1, such degrees are reviewed according to the stipulations of § 3 of the Bologna guideline of the Swiss University Conference.
International1292 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 646 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1292 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 646 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- Tuition fee is 720 CHF per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.