Food security and the sustainability of our food supply chains are major global challenges and are clearly highlighted in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Climate change, political and social changes around the world and new diet trends are some of the changing forces we are currently experiencing that put more pressure on our food system. How can we transform our food system to make it more resilient and sustainable while at the same time ensuring the supply of safe and nutritious food for everyone?
The Future Food Sustainability MSc is the first of its kind in the UK to provide you with a balanced mix of technology, science, strategic foresight and management skills, enabling you to develop a successful career in the food sector and make a real difference in the world. Teaching is shared with our internationally-recognised School of Management and industry experts.
Developed through intensive collaboration and consultation with industry, NGOs and government agencies, our graduates are highly valued, both nationally and internationally, in the area of sustainable food production.
Why this course?
This course does more than simply describe the fundamental challenges of the many problems of feeding a rapidly growing global population affected by finite resources, uncertainties of climate, political and social change, and a general acknowledgement that our current methods for producing food are not fit for purpose.
The Future Food Sustainability MSc integrates the diverse threads that could present pragmatic and practical answers to imminent global food problems and gives you the tools you need to be part of the solution.
- Study a course designed to respond to urgent industry, institutional and government needs for individuals who can meet the complex, multi-factorial issues of global future food supply.
- Develop your forward and lateral thinking, horizon scanning and strategic foresight techniques so that you can build and analyse future possible scenarios that could inform policy and decision-making globally.
- Learn from lecturers with extensive, industry relevant experience of solving real world challenges.
- Access the combined teaching, expertise and facilities of two Cranfield University Schools - the School of Water, Energy and Environment and the School of Management.
- Benefit from course accreditation by the Institution of Agricultural Engineers.
At Cranfield we have a very high employment rate of 92%* for our School, so successful graduates from this course are expected to move swiftly into positions within food businesses, government, NGOs and research companies/institutes to engage in roles involving research, management, governance, communication and social responsibility.
*working, studying or ‘doing something else’. [Taken from the Graduate Outcomes survey for those who completed their studies between August 2017 and July 2018].
Specific job roles may include: technical managers, sustainability managers, technical development managers, product technologists, resilience officers, supply chain/logistics analysts, commodity analysts, regulatory affairs advisers, and policy officers.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Agricultural Engineers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Taught modules 40%, Group project 20%, Individual project 40%
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Although there are no set application deadlines, we recommend that you apply as early as possible to secure your place.
DisciplinesFood Sciences Agriculture Environmental Sciences View 305 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates must normally possess, or be expected to achieve, a first or second class UK Honours degree in a relevant science or social science-based discipline; or the international equivalent of these UK qualifications. Other relevant qualifications together with industrial experience may be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21498 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21498 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
International & EU:
- MSc Part-time: £21,500
- PgDip Full-time: £17,400
- PgCert Full-time: £8,700
- MSc Full-time: £10,500
- MSc Part-time: £1,635
Living costs for Cranfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- GREAT China Scholarship
- The Cranfield Scholarship
- Masters Loan from Student Finance England
- Santander Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Countries
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.