The Global Governance and Diplomacy degree offered at the University of Oxford will equip you to understand and explain global governance and diplomacy, and prepare you for a career in these areas and beyond.
By focusing on the institutions and processes of global governance and diplomacy, the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy enables students not only to develop a big-picture view of world politics but also to specialise on topical aspects and make an original contribution based on their own research.
The degree prepares you for a career in diplomacy and/or transnational and regional institutions of governance such as international organisations, nongovernmental organisations, and private sector firms interacting with these institutions. It also provides the basis for further education, including doctoral studies.
Graduates of the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy have joined the United Nations and other international organisations, such as the World Food Programme, the diplomatic service in the UK and other countries, government departments across the globe, NGOs such as Oxfam and WWF, and the private sector in fields ranging from investment to energy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You will take a foundation course, two optional courses from a list of choices and a course on research methods, and write a dissertation.
- The foundation course is a two-term course running over 16 weeks and covering fundamental issues of global governance and international diplomacy.
- The optional courses cover important aspects of global governance and/or diplomacy. Each option consists of eight two-hour seminars.
- There is also a mandatory, two-term course on qualitative and quantitative research methods in the social sciences.
- Over the duration of the course, you will benefit from a series of plenary lectures and other events. The speakers discuss important issues of global governance and diplomacy and/or provide research-led presentations followed by discussion.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations View 420 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in a social science subject.
- We are happy to consider students who have not specialised in a social science for the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy. Active diplomats are also welcome to apply, although it should be noted that they will compete for admission on equal terms with other applicants.
- The MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy is one of the most competitive master’s degrees in Oxford’s Social Science division. Most successful applicants have a first-class degree or the equivalent.
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA normally sought is 3.8 out of 4.0.
International28040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28040 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
EU/EEA22050 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22050 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.