The Master of Biophysics, Biochemistry and Biotechnology programme at KU Leuven provides in-depth training in multidisciplinary fields, with particular emphasis on subfields in which KU Leuven's research expertise is internationally recognised: molecular modelling, spectroscopy of biomolecules, optogenetics, and the biophysics of neural circuits.
A range of career options exist in the pharmaceutical and bioscience industries, where the demand for biophysicists and biochemists is expected to exceed supply in the near future. There are also relevant job openings within governmental research organizations, regulatory bodies, clinical facilities, health centers, private organizations and industrial centers.
Graduates may pursue a career in medical science, pharma and biotech applied or academic research. A considerable number of graduates undertake a PhD programme in one of our associated research laboratories and partner organizations.
- Quantum Physics
- Structure, Synthesis and Cellular Function of Macromolecules
- Statistical Mechanics
- Basics of Biological Chemistry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhysics Biotechnology Genetics View 6 other Masters in Biotechnology in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- For applicants from outside Belgium, comparability of the diploma is not always easily established. Therefore we ask you to upload the following documents with your application:
- Scans of transcripts and diplomas are required for all applicants. These documents are sufficient for all applicants from universities that have an exchange agreement with the Faculty of Science of KU Leuven or universities that are in the global top 200 in the most recent Times Higher Education or QS rankings.
Additional documentation is required for applicants from other universities as it is impossible for us to reliably assess the comparability. In those cases the admission board will take a positive decision only if supporting information is provided:
a complete list of course titles for which you have obtained a credit should be part of this. Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result you obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale;
International1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA961 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 961 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.