This Advanced Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (CADES) at KU Leuven is rooted in contemporary social and cultural anthropology. It draws both on research conducted at the Institute for Anthropological Research in Africa (IARA) and the Interculturalism, Migration and Minority Research Centre (IMMRC) and welcomes a variety of perspectives to enhance students’ multi-disciplinary and intercultural expertise and skills. You can choose elective courses from the following disciplines and thematic specialisations:
- architecture and urban planning
- gender studies
- post-colonial theory
- comparative religion
- agriculture and engineering
As a holder of a CADES degree, you have a scientific, critical, and culture-sensitive understanding of development. You are able to relate domain-specific knowledge in the constantly evolving North-South debate, and in organisations that defend, project or evaluate collective and cultural interests, expectations and movements. You will have the tools to understand and deal with development from the viewpoint of local realities, cultures and knowledge systems.
You may work as
- project leader,
- consultant in ngo’s,
- international organisations,
- bilateral development co-operation,
- migration or
- minority organisations;
- or take up a position in education,
- social and medical services,
- think tanks,
- international relations,
- or research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Power, Politics and Cultures of Late Capitalism in Anthropological Perspectives
- Race, Ethnicity and the Postcolonial Condition
- Anthropology of Religion
- Culture, Migration and Mobility
- Posthuman Anthropology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Development Urban Planning View 14 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should be holders of a master's degree. The board of admission will assess the equivalence of a four years bachelor's degree on a case-by-case basis. Applicants should have outstanding academic results. Relevant professional experience is an asset. Sufficient knowledge of English is a pre-requisite and must be proved by a TOEFL- or IELTS-test.
- A 4-year University Degree (3-year Bachelor + 1-year Master) or (4-year Bachelors equalling 240 ECTS Credits)
- Applicants should have outstanding academic results (cum laude or higher) with relevant professional experience seen as an asset
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2000 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.