The Master of Linguistics and Literature - English at KU Leuven emphasizes the academic study of English in all its aspects, including the theoretical and historical study of the English language and literature. You can complement your study of English with the study of language and literature within the broader cultural and linguistic context of Europe.
- The curriculum combines theoretical courses with seminars and is designed to develop your methodological, critical-theoretical, and heuristic skills, as well as your communicative ability, as you benefit from the research and expertise of the English scholars at the Faculty of Arts.
- You will study in a vibrant international atmosphere.
- Our team of internationally renowned experts will prepare you for a career in communications, intercultural relations, education, translation, linguistics, and research or the media sector.
- When combined with a teacher-training certificate, this degree represents a solid qualification for graduates who wish to teach English in secondary or higher education.
- Graduates gain a thorough familiarity with leading contemporary research in a particular field of English linguistics or literary criticism and are thus perfectly equipped for research at a higher level (PhD programs / research projects, etc.).
- Graduates develop the communicative skills required to report, both orally and in writing, on research findings and insights. Those skills can be used in a broad range of professional contexts where the ability to digest, synthesise, and present complex phenomena is essential.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English Linguistics: Grammar and Diachrony
- English Linguistics: Grammar and Discourse
- English Linguistics: Selected Topics
- Variation in English: Linguistic and Social Determinants
- English Literature: Postromantic Materialisms
- English Literature: Reading Identities in the British Isles
- English Literature: Fiction after 1945
- English Literature: Topics in Post-45 American Literature
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 6 other Masters in Linguistics in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All other applicants (EEA-nationals holding a different degree than the one mentioned above as well as all non-EEA nationals) are requested to submit a file containing the following information;
- (1) A detailed survey of previous studies, which shows that the candidate has a substantial academic background in the fields of theoretical linguistics and literature. Previous academic study of both these disciplines is essential. Please note that applicants are required to have completed their BA at the start of the MA in English. Applicants who have not yet completed their BA at the time of application should include a detailed survey of the courses in which they are or will be enrolled in the current year of their BA program.
- (2) A motivation letter.
- (3) Proof of proficiency in English: either an IELTS score of at least 8, or a TOEFL score of at least 110.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3900 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA961 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 961 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.