Research-based teaching will allow you to benefit from the expertise of KU Leuven ’s internationally renowned scholars in English linguistics and literature. You will be encouraged to develop your communication and research skills through seminars and your personal master’s thesis. The optional component of the programme allows you to additionally study linguistics and literature from a broader European perspective.
In the English Linguistics and Literature from KU Leuven, you explore the English language in its full richness and complexity, studying its linguistics and literature, and deepening your understanding of its history and of the cultural diversity of the English-speaking world. Through the optional component of the programme you can additionally study linguistics and literature from a broader European perspective. You will develop a sound theoretical and methodological background while researching linguistic and literary topics leading to a master’s thesis.
The programme emphasizes the academic study of English in all its aspects, including the theoretical and historical study of the English language and literature. The curriculum combines theoretical courses with seminars and is designed to develop your methodological, critical-theoretical, and heuristic skills, as well as your communicative ability, as you benefit from the research and expertise of the English scholars at the Faculty of Arts.
Graduates are perfectly equipped for research at a higher level (PhD programmes, research projects, etc.). They can work as language professionals, with deep insight into how language (and English in particular) works and functions within its cultural context. They have also rich communication skills. Those skills can be used in a broad range of professional contexts where the ability to process, summarise, and present complex information is essential.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English linguistics: Grammar in Diachrony
- English linguistics: Grammar and Discourse
- English linguistics: Selected Topics
- English linguistics: Linguistic and social determinants of variation in English
- Linguistic Aspects of Ethno-Cultural Diversity
- Changing Cultures in Europe
- Art in Europe: a History of Emotions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLiterature Linguistics View 4 other Masters in Literature in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A detailed survey of previous studies, which shows that the candidate has a substantial academic background in the fields of theoretical linguistics and literature. Previous academic study of both these disciplines is essential. Please note that applicants are required to have completed their BA at the start of the MA in English.
- Applicants who have not yet completed their BA at the time of application should include a detailed survey of the courses in which they are or will be enrolled in the current year of their BA programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3900 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 12 months.
For most recent - and only official - information on tuition fees, please visit our website.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.