The Research Master of Philosophy programme from KU Leuven allows you to concentrate on a particular field of study, supplemented by courses, seminars, and the oral defense of a research-based thesis.
The Research Master of Philosophy aims at deepening the student's knowledge, by focusing on a research area in which the student wishes to prepare a PhD.
Most of our graduates aspire to an academic career and go on to obtain PhDs in Philosophy, either at the Institute of Philosophy or at universities abroad, even at such prestigious universities as Oxford, Yale, Princeton and New York University (NYU). After completing their PhD they eventually work as professors or researchers, and our placement records are very good.
Other graduates go on to careers in many different sectors, including: business, civil service, politics, education, publishing, media, the socio-cultural sector, journalism, academia and elsewhere. Many employers seek candidates who are not only well grounded in a specific field, but also able to handle the diverse challenges arising in a fast-paced workplace. Graduates in philosophy are well positioned to think clearly and respond effectively in the workplace.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Seminar: Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy
- Research Seminar: Metaphysics and Modern Philosophy
- Research Seminar: Aesthetics and Philosophy of Culture
- Research Seminar: Phenomenology
- Research Seminar: Continental Philosophy
- Research Seminar: Political Philosophy
- Research Seminar: Ethics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 7 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should have a good command of both spoken and written English.
- Students with an master degree in philosophy may be eligible for the Abridged Research Master of Philosophy programme of 60 credits. They in fact enter directly the second stage of the regular 2-year Research Master of Philosophy.
- Official and current admission requirements abridged programme
- Official and current admission requirements Research Master of Philosophy (120 ECTS)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3900 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.