If you're a language professional in a school or other education setting, this Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching MA course offered by the University of Southampton will help you:
- develop a comparative perspective on language education policy and practice
- learn the skills needed to challenge professional practice
- undertake research and innovation in a range of applied language fields
The MA Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching is offered by our Centre for Applied Language Research. Staff contributing to the programme are involved in:
- direct teaching of English as a Foreign Language (EFL) and other languages
- research and development work in applied linguistics and language learning
- sociolinguistics and cultural studies
This blend of theoretical expertise and ongoing practical experience is one of the distinguishing features of our programme.
On completion of the course, you’ll be ready for a rewarding career as a language teacher, language teaching educator, or applied linguistics researcher.
Graduates move on to rewarding careers as:
- language teachers
- language teacher training professionals
Many also become applied linguistics researchers in state and private institutions, such as education ministries or the publishing industry, both locally and internationally.
A master’s degree will help you develop the skills employers look for, such as:
- time, deadline and project management
- problem solving, critical thinking and research analysis
- working independently
- teamwork, relationship-building and cultural awareness
- using your initiative
- Second Language Learning
- Language in Society
- Assessment of Language Proficiency
- Discourse Analysis
- Critical Appraisal of Language Teaching Methodologies
- English as a World Language
- Principles of Communicative Language Teaching
- Intercultural Communication
- Teaching Foreign Languages to Younger Learners
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching Linguistics View 536 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- You'll need a 2:1 degree in one of the following subjects: English, Linguistics, Modern Languages
- You'll also need a minimum of 2 years' relevant professional experience, such as language teaching.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.