This two year (four semester) M.A. programme National and Transnational Studies: Literature, Culture, Language at the University of Münster offers:
- A specialisation in anglophone literatures and cultures from around the world, and in English linguistics, combined with an interdisciplinary orientation towards other modern languages and literatures, history, and social anthropology. The programme also draws on scholarship from other fields such as sociology or political science.
- Reflections on nationalism and nationality as cultural (rather than merely political) phenomena: How are nationalism and nationality constructed through literature, language and other forms of cultural expression? (with topics including theories of nationalism, tradition and memory, national aesthetics, canon formation, and varieties of English)
- Explorations of complex cultural dynamics beyond national frameworks in an increasingly globalised world (with topics including colonialism & postcolonialism, migration & diasporas, transculturalism, English as a world language and the sociolinguistics of globalization)
- Studies in a wide range of literature, cultures and varieties of English(e.g. British Isles, North America, Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific)
- Advanced understanding of theoretical approaches from literary and cultural studies as well as sociolinguistics, including reflections on selected approaches from the social sciences (e.g. social anthropology, sociology, political science)
- Courses on anglophone literatures and cultures (incl. film and media), English linguistics, and subjects from related disciplines (e.g. other languages and literatures, history, social anthropology)
- Combination of taught courses and independent research
- International orientation reflected in the possibility of spending one semester abroad. The compulsory module "Work Experience" can likewise be completed abroad
- Course language: EnglishDue to the interdisciplinary orientation and the integrated External Module students can participate in thematically relevant courses in other departments and disciplines, where the language of instruction may also be in other languages (e.g. German, Spanish).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Languages and literatures
- Film and media studies
- Social anthropology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 67 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The following documents are required for enrolment from first-time students, transfer students, returning students and students who wish to enrol in a new programme.
- For locally restricted-admission degree programmes: printed and signed application of enrolment (written-form), along with the letter of admission OR
- For non-restricted degree programmes, continuing education programmes and doctoral programmes: printed and signed enrolment application
- Authenticated copy of your university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur certificate)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.