The mission of the The Politics. Economics. Philosophy Master’s programme at National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) is to provide an opportunity for a cohort of bright, ambitious and motivated students to master two basic areas – economics and political science – as well as to broaden their philosophical outlook, develop critical thinking and social communication skills, and enhance their social and academic capital.
The PEP programme is designed for graduates of undergraduate programmes of participating faculties at HSE and other leading universities who aspire to strengthen their intellectual capacity and acquire additional skills, or to master new professional and career tracks.
It is intended to provide new opportunities for the most talented young people motivated to absorb new ideas, tools, and techniques developed in the social sciences. It is open to graduates with a solid background in quantitative methods (mathematics, econometrics, computer modelling, etc.) striving to apply them to the most pressing social and economic problems, as well as to young philosophers and social theorists concerned with gaps and controversies in contemporary social sciences.
Uniqueness and the advantages of the programme
The PEP programme enables student to master tools that address not only standard tasks characteristic of most social science programmes, but also the approaches applied in goal-setting activities, implying analyses of values and harmonizing interests in social and economic classes or groups.
Graduates of the PEP Master’s programme acquire knowledge and skills to govern social processes, i.e., to design and implement strategic political projects beyond or ‘above’ routine management.
Their potential can be applied in strategic planning, political forecasting and programming, and modelling political and social processes. Their professional capacity is based not only upon specific analytical methods (which is an essential prerequisite), but also on their broad intellectual outlook and comprehensive understanding of social processes.
This is achieved through philosophical courses, training in critical thinking and social communication, and interdisciplinary cooperation. Due to these qualities they can count on professional and career advancement that allows them to achieve leading positions in political structures and business corporations.
What jobs are there for graduates? The most immediate field where graduates can apply their skills is that of political expertise and organization: analytical support for decision-making in governmental agencies, political parties, NGOs and businesses.
Another option is think tanks and research centres, especially those that are focused on interdisciplinary problems of institutional reform and social policy.
Extended training of graduates allows them to prepare and initiate strategic decisions and take a leading role in their implementation, thus making them competitive for key positions where joint competences from politics, economics and philosophy are most relevant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse included:
- Data Analysis in the Social Sciences
- (Dis)Order and Governance in the Global Age
- State and Economy
- Intellectual History (Economic, Social, and Political Thought)
- Research Seminar
- Project Seminar
- Modern Political Science
- Explaining Contemporary Russian Politics: Institutions and Practices
- Contemporary Economics
- Public Choice Theory
The PEP programme is designed for people who are not satisfied with the narrow specialization of their undergraduate training and who are ambitious enough to expect more from their future. We are looking for bright graduates from leading Russian and international universities with wide interests who are ready to be at the forefront of events, either in politics or social sciences.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Nov 1-Aug 14: online applications may be submitted for preliminary selection; online (and in-person) candidate interviews will be held with programme teams
- Aug 14- Aug 28: submission of all supporting documents
- Aug 28: Deadline for signing agreements and enrollment forms
- Sept 1: Classes starting date depends on the choosen programme
- Dates apply to Moscow programmes only.
- Please note that some programmes begin on October 1.
DisciplinesEconomics Philosophy & Ethics Political Science View 3 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International prospective students applying for Master's programmes at HSE University can now get a jump start on the admissions process and get a sense of their chances of being accepted to HSE. There is no need to wait till summer or to come to Moscow.
- Master's programmes in nine faculties, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Communications, Media and Design, the Faculty of Computer Science, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, the Faculty of Business and Management, the Institute of Demography and the Banking Institute, will conduct a preliminary online assessment of portfolios and hold online interviews. This will be particularly useful for those who wish to receive direct feedback from the programmes.
- The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a preliminary interview and portfolio evaluation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5520 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5520 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 390 000 RUB / year
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.