The conception of the Philosophy course offered at The Chinese University of Hong Kong began as part of a strategic plan prepared by the Department of Philosophy in 2000. As the plan observed, there was a growing interest among Hong Kong people in in-service staff development and in the new ideal of ‘lifelong learning’, advocated around that time by the Education Commission of the Hong Kong government, and philosophy could play a role in meeting the needs generated by such an interest and the ideal.
Students at Philosophy course offered at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- get vigorous training in reflective thinking on those aspects from a philosophical point of view.
- look at and think through cultural and social issues.
- be thinking for the purpose of self-understanding: ‘Know thyself’; and philosophy as such is at the core of liberal education and requires no justification beyond the intellectual satisfaction and rewards it brings.
- extend this service to members of the larger community who are willing to be served.
- Guided Study in Philosophical Problems
- Pre-modern Chinese Philosophy
- Issues in the History of Chinese Philosophy
- Taoist Philosophy
- Buddhist Philosophy
- Eastern Philosophy
- Comparative Philosophy
- Modern Western Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics Modern History View 5 other Masters in Modern History in Hong Kong (SAR)
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- English Proficiency
International7388 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7388 USD per year during 24 months.
National7388 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7388 USD per year during 24 months.
HK$58,000 per annum
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.