Why to study
Problems pertaining to the environment, society and sustainability are interdisciplinary in nature and students with backgrounds in geography, natural and social science, planning, engineering, education, economics and law are encouraged to apply.
The MPhil Environment, Society and Sustainability degree at the University of Cape Town is an eighteen month programme that accepts students from a wide range of disciplines who have achieved above average results in a 4 year degree. It provides education in theory relating to environment, society and sustainability. When qualified, you will join the environmental and geographical scientists who are shaping the future by addressing global and local environmental and developmental challenges.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Urban Food Security
- Capital, Politics and Nature
- Geomorphology of southern Africa
- Managing Complex Social-Ecological Systems
- Geography of Development and Environment
- Climate Change and Predictability
- Urban Ecology
- Living with environmental change
- Environmental Law for Non-Lawyers
- Understanding and Managing Conflict
- Climate Change and Variability Modeling
- Tools and Topics in Earth System Science
- Alternative Economies
- Theory and Practice of Environmental Management
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 6 other Masters in Sustainable Development in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold an Honours degree, or equivalent four year degree.
- Entry to all our postgraduate programmes is competitive. In special circumstances graduates who have shown by examination, or publication, or a record of appropriate training, that they have a reached a level equivalent to an Honours degree may be admitted, at the discretion of the Dean of Science.
- Such cases usually involve research, professional experience or publication that demonstrate competence in an appropriate field, usually considered to encompass approximately five years of experience in a relevant field subsequent to obtaining a first degree in that field.
International3764 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3764 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National1608 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1608 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
- National : R 27 000
- International fee: R 63 200
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.