The History program of University of Guelph students enjoy close student-professor relationships, and teaching assistantship and scholarship opportunities designed to help students do great research and graduate on time.
We offer three Master’s options and a Doctoral program. Master’s students choose between:
- MA with course work
- MA with course work plus a major research project/paper (approximately three semesters MA with course work and a research thesis (approximately four semesters)
The Tri-University Doctoral Program generally supports thesis preparation in nine fields of study:
- Canadian History
- Indigenous Histories of Turtle Island
- Scottish History
- Early Modern European History
- Medieval History
- War and Society
- Cold War History
- World History
- Modern European History
Are you interested:
- Medieval world
- Scottish history
- Indigenous history
- History of science
- Rural and environmental history
- Canada and its cultures
- History of tourism and travel
- Museums and archives
- Government service
- Private sector/start ups
- Culture and Society
- Canada: Culture and Society Research
- Canada: Community and Identity
- Canada: Community and Identity Research
- Topics in North American History
- North American History Research
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History View 104 other Masters in History in Canada
- Degree in history, or equivalent, with at least a second class (B) average
- Statement of intent, describing proposed area of study and proposed thesis topic
International15332 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7666 CAD per semester during 18 months.
National6412 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3206 CAD per semester during 18 months.
Living costs for Guelph
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.