We look for you, fascinated by weather phenomena and aiming to understand the atmosphere and climate system. You want to move from reading newspaper articles on climate change and looking at fascinating pictures of tornadoes and hurricanes to investigating and understanding them to become an expert.
You would like to gain a quantitative understanding of climate processes and their interactions – ranging from the molecular to the global scale and from short-lived phenomena to changes over millions of years, and you are interested in the broader view of how climate change links to society and policy. You have a Bachelor’s degree in science and a solid scientific background in mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology.
You will be part of an international group of students with diverse backgrounds but sharing a common passion for atmospheric and climate science.
You will gain a quantitative understanding of atmospheric dynamics, climate processes and feedbacks, biogeochemical cycles, paleoclimatology. You will receive in-depth training in numerical modelling of weather and climate, have the opportunity to work on in the atmospheric chemistry and physics lab, participate in field courses and discuss the current weather in a weekly weather discussion.
We educate outstanding young scientists for careers in academia, public administration and the private sector. The range of positions of our graduates is very diverse, and ranges from experts in the emerging field of renewable energy, to risk modeling in the insurance business, to scientists. Graduates of our MSc in Atmospheric and Climate Science program at ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology hold leading positions in companies such as energy providers, climate and weather services, in the reinsurance and financial sector, or in media, business and policy consulting.
Others work as statisticians, programmers, consultants, project managers or teachers in a wide variety of positions in the private sector, public administration and academia. Finally, many of our graduates successfully pursue an academic career and rank among the world-leading scientists in atmospheric and climate science.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Analysis of Climate and Weather Data
- Dynamics of Large-scale Atmospheric Flow
- European Climate Change
- Fluvial Systems
- Physics of Glaciers
- Stratospheric Chemistry
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology View 4 other Masters in Climate Studies & Meteorology in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Based on your transcript the admission commission of «Atmosphere and Climate» gives recommendations as to which necessary qualifications you have to catch up with.
- For our Master programme we would like to attract students with solid mathematical, physical, chemical and earth system‘s basics. At the same time it is important to our research to employ and educate people with different educational backgrounds.
- In addition to the basic education in mathematics, physics and chemistry of the ETH earth science bachelor programme we would like you to have a good background in the field of «Atmosphere and Climate science» as defined on our website. In case you have to catch up with some of these credits, you can do this within the scope of the optional courses of the Master programme, i.e. you can take credit for these courses as part of your Master studies.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.