Graduates find rewarding careers providing counselling services (individual, group, personal, and career counselling and psycho-educational services) to adults and children in a variety of settings, including public schools, university and college counselling centres, and community-based social service agencies.
FeaturesThe Counselling Psychology MEd and MA programs from Simon Fraser University, are highly sequenced, with almost all courses offered only once per year. The program structure and sequence is guided by two key principles:
- Effective counselling practice is guided by coherent theoretical frameworks, a working knowledge of assessment procedures, and a keen awareness of ethical principles and issues.
- Counselling skills and strategies are best learned through a series of structured experiences that allow students to refine their skills while becoming increasingly independent and confident in their clinical skills and judgment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Individual assessment in counselling
- Theories of counselling
- Counselling skills and strategies
- Ethics in counselling psychology
- Contemporary school counselling
- Supervised counselling clinic
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
. The MEd degree requires typically a minimum of 35 units of course work and a comprehensive examination.
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling View 40 other Masters in Counselling in Canada
- a bachelor’s degree from SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.33 scale, or 3.33 on a 4.33 scale (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered.
- submitted evidence, usually references from qualified referees, of the applicant’s ability to undertake advanced studies in the area of interest.
- proof of English Language proficiency
- In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
International3970 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1985 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National3970 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1985 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.