Our research areas range from racism and Indigenous history to early modern Europe and the history of crime. Our faculty members often explore non-traditional ways of conducting and communicating research, including the use of geographic information systems and digital media. You can also choose to build your knowledge across disciplines through our interdisciplinary concentration in cultural, social and political thought.
In this History program at University of Victoria, British Columbia, you’ll work side-by-side with expert historians on your research. You’ll learn the historian’s craft and research methods. You’ll broaden your knowledge of both history and historiography. You can choose between our thesis option (2-year program) or our intensive major research project (MRP) option (1-year program).
Areas of focus
- Indigenous history
- Digital history
- Public history
- Military history
- Asian history
- History of gender and sexuality
- Political history
- Immigration and ethnicity
- Legal history
- Environmental history
- Canadian and American history
- BC and the Pacific Northwest
- World and colonial history
- Early modern European history
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Geographical Field Courses
- Topical Field Courses
- Geographical or Topical Field Courses.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History View 20 other Masters in Modern History in Canada
- In addition to reference letters and transcripts required by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, students must send a letter to the Graduate Adviser in the History department outlining their particular area of interest within the field of History and their proposed thesis topic if they plan to do a PhD or a thesis MA. This letter need not be more than a page long.
- Subject to the admission requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, admission to the MA program normally requires a bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall average of B+ (6.0 GPA), or a bachelor’s degree with a minimum average of A- (7.0 GPA) in the final year’s work. Many more students apply each year than can be accommodated in the program. A candidate with background deficiencies in History may be required to register for a year as a non-degree undergraduate student before being admitted to the MA program.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5074 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4022 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.