Become a health informatics expert. Health information science (also knows as health informatics) is the study of:
- how health data is collected, stored and communicated
- how this data is processed into health information suitable for administrative and clinical decision making
- how computer and telecommunications technology can be applied to support these processes.
You will learn to identify what information and data are needed and used to make effective healthcare decision by doctors, nurses, hospital administrators, government planners and other health care professionals.
In our Health Information Science program at University of Victoria, British Columbia, you’ll learn to identify critical information and data so that healthcare professionals, patients and lay people can make effective decisions. You can study in either our on-campus stream or the distributed (online) stream. You’ll complete coursework and complete either a thesis or a research project.
Areas of focus
- Health information systems planning, design, implementation and evaluation
- Health terminology standards
- Human factors in health care
- Health data science and AI
- Mobile health and consumer health information
- Health information systems safety
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Health Informatics Overview
- Research Methods in Health Informatics
- Applied Biostatistics
- Health Informatics Graduate Seminar
- Database Design
- Clinical Decision Support and Information Systems
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Health Informatics View 244 other Masters in Health Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants who meet the Faculty of Graduate Studies admission requirements will be eligible to apply for admission into the program. Applicants with an educational and/or work background in health informatics, clinical or health science, or information technology are strongly preferred.
- It is recommended that applicants have at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants with a non-health or non-IT background or less than 2 years of work experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants with a non-health or non-IT related bachelor’s degree should consider applying to the bachelor’s degree program in Health Information Science.
- Provide two Assessment Reports from academic referees
- A personal resumé
- A letter of intended study
International11240 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11240 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National9840 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9840 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.