You will also have the option of doing a French MA with a concentration in Cultural, Social & Political Thought (CSPT) or another interdisciplinary program.
With help from an adviser, you will select a domain of specialization for a research project or thesis. Your degree will lead to different career options in Canada and abroad; it will give you a competitive edge across Canada and the French-speaking world.
Areas of focus
- French, Quebec, French-Canadian, African and Caribbean literatures
- Culture and theory
- Indigenous literatures
- Creative writing
- Queer theories
- Digital humanities
- Theoretical and applied linguistics
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Research Methods
- Application of Research Methods
- Reading List/Oral
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 74 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
- Candidates must meet all the general requirements of the University of Victoria Faculty of Graduate Studies (see website) as well as the specific requirements of the Department of French. There is only one entry point: September.
- Admission to either the thesis or the project-based program requires a BA degree in French, or equivalent, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 6.5 in third- and fourth-year French courses, or equivalent. This qualification should consist of a minimum of 15 units of senior undergraduate course work in French.
- Students with background deficiencies may be required to make up courses before being admitted to the MA program.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 12 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.